For the next couple of months there will be a large amount of swedes, turnips, Kale and forage rape established. Often this is a break crop so a chance to get on top of any weed problems before going into another crop or back to grass. Here are some tips on good weed control.
- Clean seed bed – glyphosate off the ground before ploughing.
- Between cultivations allow weeds to germinate before cultivating again, this is important if you know charlock is going to be a problem.
- Drill into a good seed bed that provides good seed to soil contact, then roll lightly.
- Pre-emergence herbicide. Within 3 days of drilling apply this, it is by far the best means of weed control (see pic).
- Option 1 pre-em herbicide – Rapsan (metazachlor) 1.5L/ha + Grounded (adjuvant binding herbicide to soil) 0.4L/ha
Option 2 pre-em herbicide – Rapsan (metazachlor) 1.5L/ha + Gamit 36 CS (clomazone) 0.25L/ha + Grounded 0.4L/ha
For more information please phone CCF Agri on 01437 562400 or contact us